Parallel Workshops III, 20th April, 11:00 – 13:00 / Track: "Bioeconomy of World Regions"
- Morakot Tanticharoen, Senior Advisor, National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), Thailand
- Masahiro Uemura, Director, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Japan
- Surachai Sathitkunarat, Acting Assistant Secretary General Directorate of Enabling, National Science Technology and Innovation Policy Office
The Global Bioeconomy Summit 2015 identified international cooperation in research, development and innovation as essential to advancing the bio based technologies that underpin a sustainable bioeconomy. This workshop will discuss strategies for bioeconomy development in Thailand, Malaysia, China, Japan, and India, and will highlight opportunities for collaboration in bioeconomy development among these Asia countries, as well as proposing strategies for integration into the global bioeconomy. Each speaker will be asked to present an overview of bioeconomy development strategies in their respective countries addressing both the opportunities, including the economic potential to address the UN’s Social Development Goals (SDGs), as well as identifying the challenges (science policy, resource competition, jobs, potential winners and losers).
An open discussion among workshop participants will then address the following questions:
- What are the opportunities for collaboration within Asia, including private sector innovation?
- What is the potential that arises from the development of synergies between life sciences and digitization?
- How to integrate these Asian bioeconomies into global value chains, and support cooperation with other world regions in the bioeconomy?
- Introduction by workshop co-chairs – 10mins
- Country Overviews: Thailand, Malaysia, China, India, Japan, Iran (max 10 slides/60 secs per slide)
- Discussion (35mins)
- Conclusions (15mins)
- Morakot Tanticharoen, NSTDA & KMUTT, Thailand
- Masahiro Uemura, Director, Bio-Industry Division, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Government of Japan
- Akihiko Kosugi, Project Leader, Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS)
- Zurina Che Dir, International Advisory Council Member, Malaysian Bioeconomy Development Corporation
- Yin Li, Director, Centre of Excellence for Biotechnology/ Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Renu Swarup, Managing Director, Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), India (tbc)
- Omid Tavakoli, Bioeconomy Commitee of Iran