Parallel Workshops II, 19th April, 16:45 – 18:45 / Track: "Bioeconomy of World Regions"
- Waldemar Kütt, Head of Unit Bioeconomy Strategy, DG RTI, European Commission
- David Babson, Senior Advisor, Office of the Chief Scientist, U.S. Department of Agriculture
Objectives and motivation: The aim is to create a forum to present strategies for bioeconomy development in Europe and North America and to highlight opportunities for collaboration with BRIC countries.
Key topics: Comparison of different National and Regional Bioeconomy Strategies
Expected outcome: Different Nations need different bioeconomy strategies meeting the respective socio-economic requirements. The panel will make the specific expectations, strategies and approaches in OECD- and BRIC-countries apparent.
Agenda and speakers
Updating the European Bioeconomy Strategy (Mr Waldemar Kütt) Highlighting also unmet potential of the bioeconomy to achieve SDGs. 10 min
Challenges for the European Bioeconomy
- How to implement a National Bioeconomy Strategy: the new French Action Plan for the Bioeconomy. 10 min
- Fostering the bioeconomy in new regions: the example of the BioEast initiative (Mr Barna Kovacs). 10 min
- Bioeconomy strategies in Canada and the International Bioeconomy Forum (AgriFood Canada, name tbc). 15 min
- Bioeconomy strategies in the US (Dr David M. Babson). 15 min
- Panel presentation followed by panel discussion. Panel would be composed of experts from BRIC countries (Jiang Min, Valdimir Popov, Bernardo Silva and Pramod Kumbhar) and the 3 co-Chairs representing Canada, US and the EU. Panel presentation of the bioeconomy strategy in the 4 BRIC countries (5 min each) followed by panel discussion based on 2 short questions. 40 min
David Babson, US Department of Agriculture
Ministry of Agriculture and AgriFood Canada (name of the co-chair tbc)
Waldemar Kütt, European Commission
Jiang Min, Nanjing Tech University (China)
Vladimir Popov, Research Center of Biotechnology RAS (Russia)
Bernardo Silva, ABBI (Brazil)
Pramod Kumbhar, Praj (India)